Thursday, November 1, 2007

On using Subversion for web projects

On using Subversion for web projects -- good article addresses the issues I am looking at
- check eapps.com may have this kind of sync support from my desktop to code on the webserver , it should have as it is hosting subversion

I do most of my work at the Athletics office, but there are times when I need to take projects home, on the road, or send projects to other developers. It was always a pain trying to sync my desktop and laptop — I’d use little jump drives, post zip archives to our ftp, or remember to bring my laptop to the office. With Subversion I don’t bother with any of that. To sync any computer, I just run an update and I’m done. To provide another developer with access, I just have them check out a working copy from the repository.

Subversion Hosting
Lately I’ve noticed a bunch of new Subversion hosting providers. I haven’t tried any of them, but I’m fond of hosted/managed services, and I’ve been considering giving one of them a try. Most providers offer built-in integration with Trac, a web-based bug/issue tracking system. We’ve never worked with Trac, but we do use Basecamp on a daily basis, and I’d like to see more Subversion hosting services offer Basecamp integration. (Springloops is the only service I’ve found with Basecamp support.)

* DevGuard

No comments: