Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why you can not build global software company from Europe

Why you can not build global software company from Europe : In the words of accomplished European entrepreneur
In Europe, it’s much more difficult to have a global goal and a global vision because you struggle at first in your own market.”

He attributes this to the fact that the region (Europe) has 22 languages and geography that complicates deal-making. In contrast, San Francisco is at the epicenter of deals, he says.

“The way you do partnerships here, everyone’s a block away or 20 minutes away in Palo Alto. If I need to set up a partnership with [micro-blogging service] Twitter, I call them, we have coffee, and two hours later the deal is done. If I were in France, there’s a nine-hour time difference and it’s like you don’t matter.”

He has won the support of influential bloggers such as Michael Arrington of Techcrunch and Robert Scoble by including them at an early stage. “I have applied my own rules here, which are share ideas to the maximum possible and then involve the actors like Arrington and Scoble in the conversation.

“I love the spirit here. By default, it is ‘How can I help?’ and you have the trust of a person. In Europe, by default, you have zero trust. That is the big difference.

No comments: