Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Value Investor / Value based Investing

------------
Modern Graham ( Mr. K ref. of its value calculator )
Benjamin Clark
Co-Founder
Benjamin graduated from DePaul University’s Finance Honors Program in 2007, and is currently attending the DePaul University College of Law.

Undervalued Companies
wow: great to see this List , kee is to find this 'under valued' company list and track it when some thing falls sharply and see still it is valid under this MG site rules 2 out 3 'test category' pass.
- other thing is you should have patience for 1 year at least ..

a) VectorVest may have similar programmable parameters of valuation and charting
b) oldSchoolvalue.com has some thing similar to this MG valuation but in spread sheet.
c) crossing the wall street ,see this site also and his holdings.
d) finding one of the above 'value' investors picks when they drop 20 to 40 and pick them ..

asr: wow, you have 3 quantifiable Criteria to define the relative value of the Stock.

1/ Enterprising Investor – must pass at least 4 of the following 5 tests: Score = 5/5
2/ Defensive Investor – must pass at least 6 of the following 7 tests: Score = 5/7
3/ Valuation Summary:

MG Value $76
MG Opinion Undervalued
Value Based on 3% Growth $28
Value Based on 0% Growth $17
Market Implied Growth Rate 7.46% ( asr:so MG value is based on this rate? )


InfoSys
Valuation History:
11/2/09 – Value $76, Actual Price $46.36, Undervalued & Enterprising
7/26/09 – Value $74, Actual Price $42.40, Undervalued & Enterprising

CVS Phamacy
Valuation History:
10/17/09 – Value $72, Actual Price $37.70, Undervalued & Defensive

--------------------
asr: how a non-finance guy turned as 'Value investor' in 2 years ..

A Brief History
I was never interested in finance. Never took a commerce, accounting, economics class or any subject related to finance in High school or University. I literally abhorred the whole financial industry and couldn’t care less about the economy.

3 months and $3000 later, I wised up and realised that the financial advisor was selling me rubbish

By chance one day, I picked up The Intelligent Investor that was lying around my fiance’s home. I started to read and read and read.
I was hooked with the concepts and it suited my personal attitude and character.

The Beginning
With a clearer idea on investing, I stumbled upon Joe Ponzio’s www.fwallstreet.com which is by far the best blog I have seen. I read and studied his methods and started to fully understand what investing was really about.

Philosophy
I consider myself to be an enterprising investor. I prefer to perform my own valuation and analyses of companies I follow and become interested in. Here I outline the philosophy I take in my valuations and what you will expect to find and not find.

I literally read my first “how to invest” article on fool.com in Sep 2007. Since then, I have spent at a minimum 2-3 hours everyday reading books, magazines, textbooks, blogs, newspapers trying to understand concepts and how businesses operate.
asr: wow just in 2 years this guy mastered value based investing, this is great site for somebody ( Sweta india) or some MBA guy to master value based investment

The value investors mindset is that a company is worth what its business is worth. Jae presents that theory in very good form here. What the price of tea in China ultimately has no bearing on whether Company A is trading for $X.XX per share. This is the concept of the value investor and why we are not over indulged in the micro and macroeconomic environment.

The price of gold or whether the fed is cutting interest rates does not affect our choice to go to McDonalds to get a burger or buy a Coca Cola.
-------------

APple spread sheet sample given in below url
http://www.scribd.com/doc/20485522/AAPL-5yr-OSV-Stock-Valuation-Spreadsheet

WOW what a year it was. The Old School Value portfolio ended 2009 with a gain of 289


Fundamental Business Valuation Process

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Which is better Coca-Cola or Pepsi?
PARTICIPATE IN THE POLL and you could get a prepaid VISA gift card!